CAMARONES A LA CRIOLLO, Shrimp Creole
Author: Chef Juan
- 1 pounds large shrimp shelled and de-veined
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ medium Spanish onion, (finely chopped)
- ½ green pepper, (cored, seeded, finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup vino seco or dry white wine
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup pimento stuffed olives
- Make the sofrito. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until just fragrant.
- Add the onions, green peppers and garlic, cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onions are translucent. De-glaze the sofrito by adding the vino seco stirring gently.
- Add the tomato sauce, oregano, and cumin into the pan bring the sauce to a simmer and then reduce the heat to medium low heat.
- Add the olives and allow the sauce to simmer gently for about 15 minutes Add the shrimp and cook in the sauce for 3 to 4 minutes or until the shrimp is fully cooked through stirring occasionally and flipping the shrimp about halfway through.
- Serve each portion over brown rice and a generous helping of sauce. makes 4 servings