I decided to incorporate to of my favorites in Cuban food, and plantains. Then I thought what should I do? I will make lasagna, yes Cuban lasagna. The plantains replace the noodles and the filling is the Picadillo, with some white cheese. Hope you enjoy it. Ingredients:
- 1 ½ lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup green, pimento stuffed olives, halved
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 plantains, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups Mexican queso blanco or mozzarella cheese, shreeded
- salt & peper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter square pan with 1 tbs of butter.
- Brown beef in a heavy bottom pot with olive oil. using a wooden spoon crumble up the beef. Once browned drain excess fat and set aside.
- Return pot to stove, add olive oil and sauté onion, pepper and garlic. Add tomato sauce, cumin, oregano and bay leaf. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, set aside. Remove the bay leaf before assembling lasagna.
- Peel plantains and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes till soft. Set aside and let cool. Once cooled cut plantains lengthwise and set aside.
- To assemble lasagna: Take your prepared square pan, start with a layer of plantains, then beef, then a fistful of cheese, repeat. You want to finish with cheese and plantains.
- Beat 3 eggs and pour over the lasagna. Let it sit for a minute allowing the egg to soak in. Top off with just a bit more cheese.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes to firm up.
Makes 4 Servings.