I love a good hearty soup. Throw everything in one pot and let it go. Sopa de Garbanzo was a favorite in my house growing up. The Chorizo (Spanish style sausage) really makes this soup, and a little Canadian bacon takes it over the edge.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 2 chorizos (Spanish-style sausage) cut into 1″ pieces
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 2 cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1-15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup vino seco (dry white wine)
- 1 large baking potato, peeled, cut into small cubes
- salt to taste
- olive oil
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and green bell pepper, cook until onions are translucent. Add chorizo and Canadian bacon, cook additional 3 minutes. Add the 2-cans of garbanzo beans with their liquid. Add tomato sauce, white wine and potato. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
Serve with warm garlic bread.
Makes 4-6 servings.