This is my version of the “Raise-The-Roof Sweet Potato Vegetable Lasagna” found in the “Engine 2 Diet” by Rip Esselstyn. Off course I added my own small twists to the recipe. It is a vegetarian lasagna with plenty of vegetables: broccoli, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and corn. You can add any other vegetables of you’re liking. It is low in fat and cholesterol-free, NO eggs or cheese.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 package firm tofu
- 1 can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 lemon, zest & juice
- 2 jars prepared pasta sauce
- 1 box whole grain lasagna noodles
- 2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 6 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup raw cashews, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.Add olive oil to nonstick pan. Sauté the onion, garlic and Jalapeno on high heat till onions are translucent. Add the bell peppers and the spices. Deglaze the pan with white wine. Add the carrots, broccoli and vegetable stock to the pan, cook till almost all the liquid is absorbed. Pour mixture into a large bowl.
- Drain the tofu by wrapping in towel and squeezing the excess liquid, add to the vegetable mixture and combine. Add the corn and mix well. Zest the lemon over the bowl and also add the juice of the lemon.
To assemble the vegetable lasagna:
- Cover the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch casserole with a layer of sauce. Add a layer of uncooked noodles. Cover the noodles with sauce. This way the noodles cook in the oven, saving time and energy. Spread the half the vegetable mixture over the sauced noodles. Cover with a layer of noodles and another dressing of sauce. Add the reminder of the vegetable mixture and place another layer of lasagna noodle and sauce. Cover with the mashed sweet potatoes. Sprinkle the spinach over the potatoes. Add the final layer of noodles, and a last topping of sauce. Cover the lasagna with thinly sliced Roma tomatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle with the cashews, and return to the oven for 15 minutes. Let lasagna sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 10 – 12 servings